How to put the spark plug wires in the correct order on
Replace spark plugs requires more than the ability to pull each one out and put a new one in the empty space. It is essential to connect properly before starting the engine. The three critical components to ensure that the plugs are properly connected is the firing order, the numbering cylinder and the direction of rotation of the distributor. Understanding and incorporating these key components will make the process easy to understand and follow.
- Buy a repair manual for your specific make and model. Repair manuals can be found online at local auto parts stores or visiting the dealership service center vehicle.
- Determines how the distributor rotor rotates. The rotor is located under the distributor cap and turn clockwise or counterclockwise rotation movement known as the distributor. Remove the distributor cap, start the engine and note the direction of rotation of the distributor. Replace the distributor cap.
- Looking at the service manual to locate the terminal distributor of number one hits. Many distributor caps are made from the number one terminal as marked. An alternative method is to drive the distributor rotor to the number one terminal manually rotating the engine until the crankshaft and timestamps camshaft are aligned. Looking in the manual specific instructions on using this method.
- Searching for the number one cylinder engine block checking the numbering format of the cylinder block in the service manual. The cylinders are numbered and oriented differently depending on the make of the vehicle. Connect a spark plug wire from the cylinder number one and number one distributor terminal.
- Remember if your rotor is moved to the right or to the left and connect the other plug wires, one at a time, following the firing order located in the manual. The firing order starts at number one distributed terminal and continues clockwise or counterclockwise until the terminal number one again. If the manual gives the firing order as 1, 3, 2, 4 and the rotor moves to the right, connects the cylinder terminal three at the dealer immediately to the left of the number one terminal. Connect to terminal two-cylinder distributor immediately to the right of the terminal number three four-cylinder connected to the terminal distributor immediately to the right of the terminal number two.
- Compare the spark plug wires firing order the manual and make sure that each wire is connected to the correct terminal distributor.
Tips and Warnings
- If the engine backfires or malfunctions, turn off the engine and check that the cables are properly connected.